Homemade mayonnaise is one of those rights of passage that every cook should go through, Banting or not. If you haven’t split and then rescued a mayo … you really should. Also … be warned … once you’ve made your own homemade mayo you will never allow the store bought stuff to cross your path again!
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 2 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 500ml Avocado Oil
- 2 Tbsp White Wine Vinegar
- Juice of 1/2 to 2 lemons
- Salt to taste
- Place egg yolks and mustard in a bowl and whisk
- After a couple of minutes start adding oil very slowly to start (like 1 Tbsp at a time) and beat / whisk in between.
- Keep adding oil slowly until about 250ml oil has been added and the mix is starting to look like a thick mayonnaise.
- At this point add the white wine vinegar and whisk.
- Continue adding the remainder of the oil in a slow drizzle until all oil is added.
- Add salt and lemon juice to suit your taste in tanginess.
- Place in sterilised bottle and refrigerate.
- Can be used immediately.
If you should find yourself in a situation where your mayo has split ... start again with a clean bowl, egg yolks and mustard and then all the split mix slowly (as if you were adding oil). The trick is to go really slowly in the beginning until the mix has turned into a thick mayo.